• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VikingGamer

VikingGamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:04 AM

I recently re-played FFT for the third time - I gotta say, as much as I loved the game, I hated the grinding, and I think grinding for xp is the worst part of any RPG. 

I'd be interested to see what elements of RPG's people were hoping would be dropped or included?

• ThomasSn, RudyEased, DanielPa and 13 others like this

#2 Ahrlo

Ahrlo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

i have disliked grinding in some games, but in FFT and Tactics Ogre and similar, the combat was what i enjoyed the most.

i would grind for fun, lvl up stealing gear in mandala plains and leaving the last battle undone so i could poach and battle on rainy days

the rpg element i would alter, would be for the player purchased/named chars to to be on par with the named ones you acquire without the de- and re-leveling.

#3 dflood

dflood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:26 AM

fft made grinding fun.

#4 AdrenalineNut

AdrenalineNut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:28 AM

... lvl up stealing gear in mandala plains and leaving the last battle undone so i could poach and battle on rainy days...

haha wayyy too true. I actually like grinding the first few times I played. Just seeing how much I could loot/charm/steal. Haha damn, I should play FFT again. :-P

#5 gentlemanorcus

gentlemanorcus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:46 AM

Personally I prefer Fire Emblem style where EXP for the most part is limited and grinding is risky and can get your characters killed easily. More grinding in Awakening is what really killed that game for me.

EDIT: Anyway in respone to OP I'd really like the Warren Report/Chronicle stuff from Tactics Ogre and FFT to be included. Those really inhanced the story a lot.

#6 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

What I hate most & is most toxic to the genre is stat-gains being tied to the class you're on when you gain a level.

Ex. in Tactics Ogre you could make your Mage-types OP by first leveling up a Ninja like crazy for tons of Agility... this would make their spells hit 100% of the time without fail.

Such a system is really stupid & creates a god-mode or bust scenario.

Players who min-max their stats break the game with their OP'ness while players who neglect such a forced-system or are unaware of it gimp themselves.

It's a very faulty system in general.

While it can be entertaining, it's also a very convoluted & unforgiving system as there's typically no option to de-level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users