21 replies to this topic

#1 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

I'm curious how many different playable races will exist in Unsung Story?

I would love if we weren't relegated to only plain humans.

I made a thread for a different game where I suggested a Rabbit-Anthropomorphic Species (see here: http://projectphoeni....php?f=18&t=304) & presented some contributing points about including such races.

I think it'd probably fit their game a bit better but examples of races that'd fit Unsung nicely I feel like are:

Angelic/Celestial Beings, Medusa-likes, Ox-kin, & Wolfkin (e.g. Bleu, Bo, Nina, & Ox from BoF I) - http://2.bp.blogspot...1_cast_3603.jpg

Half-Dragons (e.g. Au Ra from FFXIV or Dragonborn from D&D) - http://forum.square-...nced!-The-Au-Ra & http://videogame-art...01_PaulChou.jpg

Half-Demons (e.g. Tiefling from D&D) - http://ericbelisle.c...ing-warlock.jpg

Lizardkin (e.g. Bazba from Suikoden III) - http://vignette2.wik...=20100415163823

Lycanthropes (e.g. Worgen from WoW) - http://www.mrwallpap.../Worgen-WoW.jpg

Winged Folk (e.g. Canopus from Tactics Ogre) - http://ogrebattlesag...iki/Winged_Folk

Would also be great if we had access to some playable creatures similar to FFT... giant ones that comprise 3 or more tiles would be welcome... gryphons, hydras, mountain giants, & etc.

• Palossact, Vitezdido, AlfrediaPig and 14 others like this

#2 Shyla

Shyla

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 384 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Owned Playdek Games:Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Ascension, Summoner Wars, Tanto Cuore, Nightfall, Penny Arcade the Game, Fluxx, Food Fight, Can't Stop

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

These references you bring up seem like they could be neat; they would definitely add more diversity to the world of Rasfalia, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see what others have to say about this idea. :)

#3 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:29 AM

Thanks! For the particular artistic style & perceived fantasy, I think these specific types would fit very well!

I'd love to know if you guys have settled more into a High or Low Fantasy lore/universe.

I just watched the Reddit Q&A Video (https://www.youtube....h?v=2yb5AlOvmdM) and y'all were unsure at that time (12 mo's ago).

#4 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

Oh also, I'm in favor of a FFT style fantasy with regards to technology... the tech for guns is both foreign & rare but it exists... is a very new advent for society.

Machinery... very little, if any, otherwise (no giant robot in this one though hehe).

I picture a little more gothic/medieval, 'realistic' fantasy for Unsung Story overall though.

More Elder Scrolls-esque or more akin to the Ogre franchise but in a different art-style.

I don't imagine a ton of elves or magic.

If you're ever read Patrick Rothfuss' King Killer Chronicles... that style of magic/world would be PERFECT.

• LockeLamora likes this

#5 itoikenza

itoikenza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

let's just hope it has all our fav. basics covered. I wouldn't even be against a gunner, especially if he/she is a magical one, like Norris of Chrono Cross. Norris' Top Shot certainly ain't a regular bullet, you see. but I digress...

Watch as calamity unfolds, your ill-advised words require damage control... 最偉剣坐

#6 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

Norris. So good. He always has a place in my party!

So do Clive & Ridley in Suikoden hehe.

#7 Conquérant_Rouge

Conquérant_Rouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:20 AM

I think they shouldn't add any.

Many games with playable races end up:

1: race becomes just a glorified secondary classes (a human fighter does not play like a dwarf fighter)

2: every member of said race (that's unimportant to the story) is flat and stereotypical (elves are haughty and know-it-all, while dwarves are hardworking but brash)

3: Humans often are the least loved/respected among the playable race, storywise

If the team feels confident that it will add more to the game, then go ahead. But if they add it simply because it's fantasy, well the game might end up with a generic feel to it.

• nomnam and peterious like this

#8 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

You think having only humans would be less generic than having racial diversity?

#9 Conquérant_Rouge

Conquérant_Rouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:03 AM

Racial diversity may sounds like the better option, but most of the time it's shallow. I summarized why in my previouse post.

Only humans sounds boring, and it is if your definition of human is a white European. Humanity (real world) has so much diverse cultures, why can't writers take inspiration from them more ? Heck, why not mixing 2 or 3 of them together and create one ?

I should add that playable fantasy races tend to be very humanize, heck even the non-playable one are humanize albit negatively (ex: orcs and goblins).

#10 seriouscoder

seriouscoder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:48 AM

At this point I'm just hoping the game will be playable tbh...

#11 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

Racial diversity may sounds like the better option, but most of the time it's shallow. I summarized why in my previouse post.

Only humans sounds boring, and it is if your definition of human is a white European. Humanity (real world) has so much diverse cultures, why can't writers take inspiration from them more ? Heck, why not mixing 2 or 3 of them together and create one ?

I should add that playable fantasy races tend to be very humanize, heck even the non-playable one are humanize albit negatively (ex: orcs and goblins).

I understand & completely agree with you 100% on these points.

If adding races, they need to add Value to the game.

They shouldn't be added flippantly, just for the sake of it.

A great example of races done right in a game is the Mass Effect franchise, if you've ever played it.

Each race had distinct culture, fleshed out lore & history, story contribution...

As far as aesthetic, a poor example is the upcoming Au Ra race for FFXIV.

The game features so many offshoots of plain humanoid physiques... many people were hoping for an actual, bestial/mammalian/reptilian species...

Instead they got a carbon-mix between two of the current humanoid species with horns slapped on.

Sure, the former points about making a convincing, rich race may come into play with the Au Ra. But my point is that aesthetic matters as well.

Human, humanoid with horns, humanoid with tail, humanoid with wings... redundancy is certainly problematic in the looks-department.

#12 Melodia

Melodia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

Humanoid with small extra parts is pretty common in Japan.

And personally I find such designs much more aesthetically plesaing than the full on anthro look that's more common in the west.

#13 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

I hear you but when you've already got 5 generic humanoids with only a single add'l feature or different shape a piece... adding yet another for an Expansion when something new & excited is to be expected is... pretty underwhelming.

I suppose the context in that particular case matters greatly.

As far as your point, I'm actually with you to an extent. My former point here is kinda getting at that a fantasy world can reach a threshold where it becomes gimmicky to add extra of the same kind.

By all means though, I'd be perfectly happy & enjoy if the game utilized up to that threshold.

If however, the races have compelling culture/lore/history behind them which grant worth & value to their existence.

#14 peterious

peterious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Honestly, Fantasy races feel a little cliche at this point.  I would prefer it to be humans only, where the main differentiators are social, not physical.  Things like class, nationality, and religion seem to be much more interesting than differences in physicality. 

• nomnam likes this

#15 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

Honestly, Fantasy races feel a little cliche at this point.  I would prefer it to be humans only, where the main differentiators are social, not physical.  Things like class, nationality, and religion seem to be much more interesting than differences in physicality. 

I hear that. If anything, I think races, if incorporated in a fantasy world, can AND should possess differences beyond physicality. Each race in a fantasy world should have all those cultural/social/political aspects fully developed to be worthy of inclusion (or else, it's too 'unrealistic').

And they shouldn't be cliche. Slapping on horns just "because lols" should never happen vs. making a compelling demon-alike or draconic race with horns & all of the above.

I concur, it'd be problematic to carbon-copy cliche examples just to create 'illusory variety'.

#16 Conquérant_Rouge

Conquérant_Rouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:46 AM

Reading the posts, I'm getting a feeling of deja vu. :P

The tough part of making a fantasy race is how much humanity should it have.

Make it too human, it misses the point of making a un-human creature.

But on the flip side, without any human-like part, people will most likely not get the author's intended reaction.

I recently watched the sci-fi horror Alien, and it's documentation.

Old design for the xenomorph (before H.R.Griger) was very "alien": bug face, four legs, arms with claws instead of hands, no torso.

The end result: looks goofy.

When they got H.R.Griger, he basically took a (male genital) head man and made it a monster that runs on pure nightmare fuel.

• peterious likes this

#17 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

I think it's more about the behavior/culture/ideology/intelligence of the humanoid species determining its 'degree of humanity'.

Really, any intelligent life-form will be 'human like' somehow simply due to having to possess comparably adept bodily (or telekinetic in other genre) functions and intelligent speech-capabilities.

So I think the aim is to instill 'just enough humanity' into the fantasy anthromorph for us to feel relatable somehow, via all of the above.

It's a good point though: make them behave too much like the general culture of humankind & the purpose is lost or make them too bestial & now we, as humans, can no longer connect with them so why bother.

• peterious likes this

#18 iijyanaika

iijyanaika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

I also would like to see some diversity in race, and with those different races just as much quality in background info. 

#19 Evinith

Evinith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

I think multiple races could be a good idea but only if done well. I'm a ban fan of the original final fantasy tactic, but this is a game that did races badly. The monster tended to be weak with little tactical use or grow. Therefore, if multiple races are used, such as in FFTA and FFTA2 (games I wasn't a fan of) the races need to have their own personalities and use the in the story, don't just use multiple races for its own sake, while maintaining tactical use and individuality. I'm all for the idea but I hope it's done well to further create strife, unity, and intreg in Philoshy, ideology, religious, and cultural aspects between the races even if at the superficial level.
  • Gesser likes this

#20 LockeLamora

LockeLamora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

I'm excited to see what Shy comes back with one this one, I think adding the race diversity element would be really intriguing (as long as it's done well, but I have faith).

Also I'm late to the thread on this one - but a big HELL YEAH to Kingkiller Chronicles Gesser. I can't wait for Doors of Stone.

• peterious and Gesser like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users