39 replies to this topic

#1 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:13 AM

From the Unsung Story Reddit's Main Page: http://www.reddit.co...stant_producer/

1) ...what lessons have you learned from previous projects you've worked on, and how are you going to apply those lessons to Unsung Story?

A) "Right now the big one is to be as transparent as possible. Although we can’t share everything, it’s important to not leave anyone in the dark... ...Since Unsung Story is very public facing with the Kickstarter, we will have to make sure that you aren’t left without knowledge of any setbacks. It’s almost expected that they will happen, and although some people are going to be upset, we’ve found the majority of people are much happier just being given an update on the status" -- Playdek

OK, so what's happening? I've tweeted you guys, commented on the official Kickstarter, made posts in both forums, heard from Shybutnotshy that something was being worked on for us over the holiday (almost a month ago), and a lot of people are beginning to feel scammed.

Please, may we hear from you?

• Vitezdido, ThomasSn, Samuelki and 12 others like this

#2 Shenanigans888

Shenanigans888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

it's been just over 2 months since we have heard anything from playdek.  I think at this point, anything from playdek would be appreciated by most backers.  It could be screenshots, it could concepts, it could be a teaser. Heck even a "hello there backers, we haven't forgot about you.but we're still working hard on this game" would suffice for most I think.

• Gesser likes this

#3 Conquérant_Rouge

Conquérant_Rouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

Geez, talk about irony....

But after reviewing the previouse updates, I think we should just arm ourselvse with patience. They aren't frequent with updates, and some didn't show the project's progression.

Though, I do question shybutnotshy absence. As Community Manager, she should be more present, takeing care of such topics.

• peterious likes this

#4 Lucence

Lucence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

I agree with OP and will just leave my message to the developers here.

I expect weekly updates for kick starter projects. At the very least, you should be sending your backers a monthly newsletter with a summary of events. You are literally opening yourself up to investors with kick starter. We don't know what you are doing with our money if you don't open up some communication lines. I am sure many other backers share my point of view, and we are not only disappointment but you are wasting the hype and excitement that got us to support your project. You can learn from other developers that are truly transparent.

https://docs.google....ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

#5 Ashram

Ashram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

i forgot i even gave money. 
this is totally annoying.
and using our favorite game genre, into some charade.

• Gesser likes this

#6 Xifanie

Xifanie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

I know what it's like to have a small community, but there hardly goes a day that I don't check my forum at least 10 times a day. I'm simply baffled they don't have a single person assigned at least part-part-part time to take care of the forum, and thus us backers. God, it took ten days to remove the last spambot message...

I was wondering when people would start complaining. Personally, it bothers me even more given the level of dedication that I have:

1) I've been running a FFT modding community for over 7 years; I really love Matsuno's stories and battle systems and want to complete/improve them even further.

2) I bought the Art Design package with my wife for 175 bucks; I'm paying to help developing the game when instead I should be paid.

HELP ME HELP YOU!

Please Playdek, show some dedication towards your players/backers as well. Don't be all talk.

• Shenanigans888 likes this

#7 msharif

msharif

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

Updates please!

#8 faelim

faelim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

Geez, talk about irony....

But after reviewing the previouse updates, I think we should just arm ourselvse with patience. They aren't frequent with updates, and some didn't show the project's progression.

Though, I do question shybutnotshy absence. As Community Manager, she should be more present, takeing care of such topics.

Even more concerning is that she apparently last logged onto the forums on January 14th.

This does not bode well.

#9 seriouscoder

seriouscoder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

I'm just going to stop backing *bleep* on Kickstarter...this seems to be a theme that has become more and more prevalent.

edit: Hopefully if I avoid the curse word filter on purpose at least we might get some attention.

edit: Now that we've apparently gotten the attention of shybutnotshy, censored the language.

#10 Shyla

Shyla

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 384 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Owned Playdek Games:Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Ascension, Summoner Wars, Tanto Cuore, Nightfall, Penny Arcade the Game, Fluxx, Food Fight, Can't Stop

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Hello everyone! I do apologize for my absence recently, however I am here now and putting some things together for everyone. We are working on a development update to try to get everyone up to speed on the game and to share with you some things that have been worked on since our last update.

From the Unsung Story Reddit's Main Page: http://www.reddit.co...stant_producer/

1) ...what lessons have you learned from previous projects you've worked on, and how are you going to apply those lessons to Unsung Story?

A) "Right now the big one is to be as transparent as possible. Although we can’t share everything, it’s important to not leave anyone in the dark... ...Since Unsung Story is very public facing with the Kickstarter, we will have to make sure that you aren’t left without knowledge of any setbacks. It’s almost expected that they will happen, and although some people are going to be upset, we’ve found the majority of people are much happier just being given an update on the status" -- Playdek

OK, so what's happening? I've tweeted you guys, commented on the official Kickstarter, made posts in both forums, heard from Shybutnotshy that something was being worked on for us over the holiday (almost a month ago), and a lot of people are beginning to feel scammed.

Please, may we hear from you?

I am so sorry you feel that way, and hopefully from now on I will be able to do everything I can in order to make sure you don't feel scammed or lost or completely left in the dark. We have an update in the works, and hopefully that will help give you and others some peace of mind.

I agree with OP and will just leave my message to the developers here.

I expect weekly updates for kick starter projects. At the very least, you should be sending your backers a monthly newsletter with a summary of events. You are literally opening yourself up to investors with kick starter. We don't know what you are doing with our money if you don't open up some communication lines. I am sure many other backers share my point of view, and we are not only disappointment but you are wasting the hype and excitement that got us to support your project. You can learn from other developers that are truly transparent.

https://docs.google....ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

Thank you for this input and for sharing this document with us! I will be sure to look at this and take notes because we do want to keep everyone current and haven't been doing the best so far, but that should change shortly.

I know what it's like to have a small community, but there hardly goes a day that I don't check my forum at least 10 times a day. I'm simply baffled they don't have a single person assigned at least part-part-part time to take care of the forum, and thus us backers. God, it took ten days to remove the last spambot message...

I was wondering when people would start complaining. Personally, it bothers me even more given the level of dedication that I have:

1) I've been running a FFT modding community for over 7 years; I really love Matsuno's stories and battle systems and want to complete/improve them even further.

2) I bought the Art Design package with my wife for 175 bucks; I'm paying to help developing the game when instead I should be paid.

HELP ME HELP YOU!

Please Playdek, show some dedication towards your players/backers as well. Don't be all talk.

You sound like an awesome CM Xifanie and I will be sure to contact you with any questions I may have. I know we have been a little slow and absent as of late, however this should be changing in the near future. We do have some things in the works coming up and do want to start getting all the consultants in soon to hear your ideas. I appreciate your patience and excitement for this game and I do hope we will be able to utilize your talents in development soon.

I'm just going to stop backing s h i t on Kickstarter...this seems to be a theme that has become more and more prevalent.

edit: Hopefully if I avoid the curse word filter on purpose at least we might get some attention.

I am very sorry you feel this way, and I know we haven't done much to change that outlook for you at this time. However over the upcoming months I hope we are able to change your opinion and get you excited again for being a part of this game. 

#11 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

@Shybutnotshy, thank you so much for returning! Had us extremely worried there for a while...

Glad to hear the project is still on & development is taking place.

I think however that simply 'working on an update' isn't sufficient at this point (esp. having given no ETA)...

The company (I know you've been doing all you can so I don't blame you!) has put a bitter taste in a lot of our mouth's with its severe lack of: communication, front-facing behavior, & involvement.

It's time for reform.

A few things I propose:

1) give us a quick, smaller version of the update that's being worked on... seriously, take like 10 minutes BY TODAY & upload some pictures or WIP in-game models & sound clips, etc.

2) in addition to the above, give us a bullet-point list BY TODAY of some gameplay mechanics you guys are considering or that are finalized (or near)... examples being like, "we're thinking every unit has X action points to use on their turn, movement costs 1, basic attack or guard costs 1, special abilities have various costs" or "we're considering a skill-chain type of system so units can create dynamic combination attacks, what do you think? Have ideas? Share them with us!".

3) We need to see you guys CARING about our ideas/inputs/thoughts... so we need two things:

a. An AMA by the end of the month & no later (Reddit or Live Stream with response to user comments).

b. you guys to POLL US on content/gameplay features we want to see happen and/or ASK FOR OUR INPUT/FEEDBACK regarding design-choices you're considering or which are being iterated upon.

Honestly, the Backer community has been so mistreated at this point that reparations are in order & Quickly (today & next few days minimum).

Also, if you guys need more help moderating these Forums, I'd be down... please hire me to be a Community Rep; I've run plenty of game Forums & am a great advocate for players.

I can run your Facebook/Forum/Twitter Accounts & answer people's questions... etc.

#12 Shyla

Shyla

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 384 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Owned Playdek Games:Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Ascension, Summoner Wars, Tanto Cuore, Nightfall, Penny Arcade the Game, Fluxx, Food Fight, Can't Stop

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:40 PM

As much as I would love to post something today, it will have to wait until next week unfortunately. I will be working on this and will try to pack in as much as I can to give you and everyone else some much needed information to digest. It was never our intention to have people worry about this, but I completely understand why it happened and will do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen again.

And yes, and AMA would be perfect to hold. I will see if I can set that up soon so that everyone will have a chance to get their questions read and hopefully answered!

The polls are something we will start to incorporate as more information is out there so that everyone has some knowledge of what the game is shaping up to be rather than just answering blindly. I do love the idea of having everyone involved so once we can incorporate the polls I will. 

I appreciate the offer, and if there is something that you can help with in the future, I will be sure to follow up! I am always looking to find ways to improve over here, and having a community team set up in the future is not a bad idea at all. 

#13 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:18 AM

I'm glad you're checking back & going to be looking into holding an AMA / conducting future polls but...

"...I completely understand why it happened...", why then did it happen? I think a fair explanation is in order even it you can't provide all the details, especially if we won't be getting anything at all until next week after having waited months with zero communication.

The people on the Kickstarter Comments would even still know nothing if I hadn't responsibly forwarded your responses to them.

At this point, it's feeling like empty promises with only your word to fall on. I would have trusted your word better previously when you told me you were working on an update for just after the Christmas season, had you given that update then instead of disappearing for nearly two & a half a months with nothing. Broken trust is where I'm at unfortunately & I believe many, many others.

That update needs to be MASSIVE, chock full of gameplay details/information/tidbits & MUST come next week then.

That or Playdek needs to compensate Backers better to repair the relationship. All Backers get a bonus something or other, or are upgraded a Torr by default up to X tier. Or like we'll all get a digital download of the full OST at release.

Your word is good, I believe It. But advocating for the community, right now it's insufficient PR restoration.

#14 peterious

peterious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:03 AM

Shyla, 

I am really glad you are back.  Thank you for your responses and I am looking forward to the update next week. 

#15 seriouscoder

seriouscoder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hopefully this black veil has been lifted permanently and it was an oversight now being corrected.

#16 peterious

peterious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:45 PM

Hopefully this black veil has been lifted permanently and it was an oversight now being corrected.

I wonder if this is indeed an oversight, or if there was a specific reason as to why they couldn't provide any updates.  

I doubt they just forgot about us after the holidays.  It seems likely that there was something going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

At any rate, I'm just glad to hear that things are still progressing!

• Gesser likes this

#17 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

I wonder if this is indeed an oversight, or if there was a specific reason as to why they couldn't provide any updates.  

I doubt they just forgot about us after the holidays.  It seems likely that there was something going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

At any rate, I'm just glad to hear that things are still progressing!

I agree to a point. I'm glad things are still progressing but no way were we an oversight.

It's just humanly impossible: 1) to forget for months that you've got hundreds of backers/fans vying for answers/attention & 2) to have missed all the calls/comments/emails/messages.

It's nigh-impossible that not one person in the entire company didn't receive any of the flood of communications sent them.

I alone called their HR, their PR, wrote comments/e-mails, opened tickets through every avenue, called their CEO, send messages, wrote letters delivered by U.S. postage, & more.

Every single person on their end would've had to have gone completely off the grid for these two months for that to be a possibility.

We were irrefutably, intentionally ignored/neglected & that's why I'm bothered.

• peterious likes this

#18 peterious

peterious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

I agree to a point. I'm glad things are still progressing but no way were we an oversight.

It's just humanly impossible: 1) to forget for months that you've got hundreds of backers/fans vying for answers/attention & 2) to have missed all the calls/comments/emails/messages.

It's nigh-impossible that not one person in the entire company didn't receive any of the flood of communications sent them.

I alone called their HR, their PR, wrote comments/e-mails, opened tickets through every avenue, called their CEO, send messages, wrote letters delivered by U.S. postage, & more.

Every single person on their end would've had to have gone completely off the grid for these two months for that to be a possibility.

We were irrefutably, intentionally ignored/neglected & that's why I'm bothered.

I agree up until that last statement.  

My guess is that there is some sort of reason that they were unable to provide any feedback/communication.  

I am not sure if Playdek will (Or will even be allowed to) tell us the details, but it seems like they would at least responded with a "No Comment" kind of response if they were able to.

Who knows maybe there was a legal reason, or maybe they were being audited for a potential acquisition.  I guess it's kind of pointless to speculate at this time, and it could very well be that they were just ignoring us.  I just can't wrap my head around why or how they would think that was a good idea.  There has to be a more logical explanation. 

• Gesser likes this

#19 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

I agree up until that last statement.  

My guess is that there is some sort of reason that they were unable to provide any feedback/communication.  

I am not sure if Playdek will (Or will even be allowed to) tell us the details, but it seems like they would at least responded with a "No Comment" kind of response if they were able to.

Who knows maybe there was a legal reason, or maybe they were being audited for a potential acquisition.  I guess it's kind of pointless to speculate at this time, and it could very well be that they were just ignoring us.  I just can't wrap my head around why or how they would think that was a good idea.  There has to be a more logical explanation. 

Word, that's fair & a good point. I just can't imagine a scenario where they couldn't at least have chimed in once & said a little, "hey, we haven't forgotten about you!" line... but I suppose there is a slim possibility.

#20 Conquérant_Rouge

Conquérant_Rouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:36 AM

Not much to add, but I'm a bit disappointed the community seems to need Playdek's "adrenaline shot" to stay active.

It may be a coincident (since I was out for about 2 weeks), but this topic was the only one active.

As soon as shybutnotshy came back, then the forum sprang back to life !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users