• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:16 AM

I am at least glad to see something.  I hope the update coming soon is not talking about how off schedule you guys are but rather a release of good information and insight into the game.  I understand that things get busy, things don't work out as planned but a monthly update is not much to ask for.  Most of the games I have backed have that at a minimum and it is a essential part I feel when you are asking people to front money to make your game. 

Granted I am not in the industry but I hope to see more up-to-date information on what is going on and that in time it keeps people interested in this game.  The team behind it has a ton of talent and hope that it is as epic a game as I hope it will be. 

• peterious, Gesser, ThomasSn and 9 others like this

#22 peterious

peterious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:35 AM

If they are behind schedule, I'd like to know as soon as possible.  I will have no problems with delays as long as there is communication and transparency. 

• Gesser likes this

#23 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

Not much to add, but I'm a bit disappointed the community seems to need Playdek's "adrenaline shot" to stay active.

It may be a coincident (since I was out for about 2 weeks), but this topic was the only one active.

As soon as shybutnotshy came back, then the forum sprang back to life !

Well, it's frequently the very nature of many games in early production where little information is available.

Naturally, there won't be a lot of hype a time beyond the initial announcement if regular updates don't take place.

Not only that, there's so little to discuss on a Forum for any game who's details are shrouded.

You can only discuss the vague genre of the game so much ("how much is this like FFT!")... at least, many people aren't the types to dabble in development/game theory.

Communities are usually 'activated' by media outputs, it's normal.

It's more about Playdek's relative absence causing numerous Backers to forget this project even existed.

If they were consistent, people might have more incentive to stick around longer or check back more frequently.

It's just like a small business... you advertise pre-launch & perhaps some people show up early on in your business' life.

Then you don't honor your listed hours of operations & those people slowly stop bothering.

Or you weren't memorable in the first place & you don't continue to advertise, so they just forget about you.

Not the greatest analogy but you can glean the idea from it.

I wouldn't blame the community at all.

Also, what possible "illusion" of a forum community for Unsung which may have existed earlier on... could've just been people who don't normally peruse/utilize Forums regularly (or ever) but did so in isolation simply in the hopes of getting early info's.

It's rare that legitimate forum communities generate during pre-Alpha unless the game itself is shown to be phenomenal from the onset... which we know so little about Unsung & the marketing campaign was so slight that it won't likely have any sort of community until Open Beta (unless it heavily revises its advertising/PR).

If they are behind schedule, I'd like to know as soon as possible.  I will have no problems with delays as long as there is communication and transparency. 

Same, 100%.

#24 iijyanaika

iijyanaika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

i had actually completely forgotten i had back this game, until i received the email about filling out my survey. I can't believe it's been so long already. Would love to see some kind of artwork and updates. 

• Shyla and Gesser like this

#25 eminus

eminus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:05 AM

this is a very welcoming news!! 

we still support you  Playdek! just give us upates..even little ones like what are you guys eating now and that sort :)

• peterious and Gesser like this

#26 gentlemanorcus

gentlemanorcus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Not much to add, but I'm a bit disappointed the community seems to need Playdek's "adrenaline shot" to stay active.

It may be a coincident (since I was out for about 2 weeks), but this topic was the only one active.

As soon as shybutnotshy came back, then the forum sprang back to life !

This is sort of a necro but just for anyone worried: basically all forums for Kickstarter games are pretty inactive. I was shocked to see the forum for Torment: Tides of Numenera barely has an activity for example. It's not unique to this project. That just makes constant content updates and polls more important.

• Gesser likes this

#27 Codonomicus

Codonomicus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

While I think it's important to remain enthusiastic about Unsung Story as backers and as fans, I think it's equally important to not treat Playdek as this organization that owes its backers a near-constant "State of the Game" beyond their regular update schedule. Sure, it's exciting to hear about new features, ideas that may exist on paper but aren't fully implemented yet, concept or stub or work-in-progress art and design and other behind-the-scenes information, but it does very little good for them to showcase any specific feature before they're ready to receive feedback on it, let alone to receive demands for that level of communication. Such demands are toxic, and not just to the developer who is trying to make any aspect of the game but even to the community forming around the game.

I encourage everyone to remember to stay positive, respectful, and friendly, 'cause it's not easy to be a game developer—in all its many interrelated disciplines—trying to go from concept to reality.  What they could really use from us at times like this is patience, earnest and keen interest, the encouragement to keep making Unsung Story the best that they absolutely can in the processes leading up to launch, and—when they say they're ready for it—some constructive criticism and feedback on design and direction and even their communication. In short, building up a good-natured community around this game will make the developers even more eager to engage with us beyond their baseline level of obligation.

• Gesser likes this

#28 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

Good points, Codonomicus.

#29 Codonomicus

Codonomicus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

I believe the post directly above mine makes reference to "constant updates" so I was merely addressing what's already been said here in this thread. Good on you for pointing out hyperbole, though. Communication needs less hyperbole and more sticking with the facts.

• Gesser likes this

#30 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

I believe the post directly above mine makes reference to "constant updates" so I was merely addressing what's already been said here in this thread. Good on you for pointing out hyperbole, though. Communication needs less hyperbole and more sticking with the facts.

Fair catch! I missed that (though I do think the person means "frequent or regular").

Word, QFT.

#31 Shyla

Shyla

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 384 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Owned Playdek Games:Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Ascension, Summoner Wars, Tanto Cuore, Nightfall, Penny Arcade the Game, Fluxx, Food Fight, Can't Stop

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

This is such a great and important thread, and everything that is being written here is being taken to heart. You all make some valid points that I wholeheartedly agree with, and we are aware that as a company we need to change some things around in order to bring the enthusiasm and excitement back. Although it has been a quite few months, it looks like the way things are going right now you will start to see more constant updates than previously. We have more art and more in-game footage we can share with everyone, and we need to start getting people involved on the forums in regards to the design tiers (we haven't forgotten, don't worry; we are still waiting for development to move a little bit further before we are able to bring everyone on).

Thank you for all of this, and please keep sharing your thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms because we love to know where you are coming from so we can work together.

• peterious and Gesser like this

#32 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:07 AM

Shyla, what happened to your endorsement of this thread? Doesn't feel like it's been taken to heart.

#33 Lt. Silverblade

Lt. Silverblade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

I'm tagging a post so I get a mail when there's something new.
I also think it's time we all chill until we get news. I guess we're all kind of anxious considering we've got no real successors to FFT and OgB.

Let's wait for news.

#34 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

I'm tagging a post so I get a mail when there's something new.
I also think it's time we all chill until we get news. I guess we're all kind of anxious considering we've got no real successors to FFT and OgB.

Let's wait for news.

10 days ago, dead silence from Playdek reported for 5 week's time on the KS Comments.

So it's been nearly 7 weeks of dead air.

Not anxious, just appropriately calling Playdek out for F grade PR.

It's become ridiculous. This' coming off the heels of another giant absent spree of theirs.

#35 pghdave420

pghdave420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

its guna be a flop.when they said for phones its guna flop.should have been for console on big screen.i know its for pc but no way shape or form it should be on a phone

#36 clcwolf

clcwolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

I'm not a pessimistic person, by nature. However, the utter failure of the lines of communication here just can't speak well for the project. This isn't the silence you might see from a small team as the release nears and everyone is working to meet a deadline. There is a very clear, and -to me- troubling line where the communications fell off. 

I started to get a bad feeling way back in July 2014, not quite 6 months after the funding for Unsung Story was completed, they "changed the strategic focus from the card game to the tactics game". Meaning that the card game I was looking forward to (something to do while I waited for the main game) was now no longer coming out in the next few months. Between the funding and this announcement, there were 13 updates.  (Little less than 6 months, 13 updates).

In the 9 months following that announcement there have been 5 updates.

So, following the "change strategic focus" corporate PR babble-speak update, there was a precipitous drop in communications. I am not a believer in coincidence, and I see a project in crisis. That's my take anyway. Hopefully I am wrong. Hopefully the Spring sees a bloom of new updates and open and clear communication.

But I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

#37 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

Shyla logged in again without saying anything to us.....

#38 Lt. Silverblade

Lt. Silverblade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

There's a new Kickstarter Update: #43 Combat, Equipment, and Rasfalia Map

Should be on your mail.

Will post it here anyways.

Greetings Backers,

A little combat, some equipment information, and some new art for you to view. Enjoy!

Game Combat

During your travels through Rasfalia, you will encounter enemies that you must defeat in order to continue with your quest. When fighting in a battle, each unit will have a number of actions they will be able to perform during their turn. These actions include:

• Move 
  • Attack 
  • Switch Weapons 
  • Use Skills 
  • End Turn 

Move and Attack are pretty self explanatory. However, Switch Weapons is a bit unique per character. Your characters will have the ability to equip up to two different weapons. During a battle you will be able to switch between the two. The importance of these weapons is that weapons have the chance to come with specific abilities bound to them. By equipping these weapons, your character will be granted access to these particular skills that may be outside their fixed skill-set as defined by their class. These weapons will be a very important feature to utilize and can drastically affect the way the battle will play out. The Use Skills ability will allow you to use skills available to your character, either from their class or granted from their weapon. And lastly, End Turn will end your turn. 

The battles will be swayed on the actions you take during your turns, so it will be important to study the enemy, find their weaknesses, and attack accordingly. 

Equipment 

Equipment found in the game will usually have one or more requirements or  a character must meet in order to equip it. The different requirement categories for equipment are: 

• Attributes: This category will require characters to meet or exceed certain attribute levels. The greater the item, the higher this level will be. 
  • School: Equipment with a School requirement will need the character to be a part of a particular school in order to equip it. 
  • Common: Equipment that is found to be common within the game will allow all characters to use these items, regardless of the school. 
  • Soul Bond: This tag on equipment means that the item can only be equipped once, and the character that equips will be the sole owner and user of this item. 

Equipment will be attained in multiple ways, such as merchants, drops, rewards, treasures, and more so you will always need to be on the lookout for items to enhance your characters. 

Art Update 

Unsung Story takes place in the fictional region of Rasfalia. Rasfalia is a peninsula surrounded by the Jakeos sea around the same size as modern day France or Spain. This peninsula is inhabited by the people of the Alionne Kingdom and the Jheksal Empire. Unsung Story will focus on the power struggles between these two great nations of power and all of the provinces found within.

Rasfalia
Jheksal Empire

Development on the game is progressing nicely. As we continue down this path we will finalize a development timeline to share with everyone later this summer. Thank you for reading.  

Cheers, 

Shyla, Playdek Community Manager

#39 Lt. Silverblade

Lt. Silverblade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

I wasn't allowed by the forum settings to post the images.

#40 nmalinoski

nmalinoski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

So, it's been nearly two months since the previous update, and I do wonder what, exactly, is going on with this project.

Codonomicus mentioned Playdek's "regular update schedule"--if there is a schedule, what is it, and why isn't it in a sticky on these forums*? If there isn't a schedule, there needs to be. When should we expect updates to be published? If there are no updates, what recourse do we, as backers, have, if any? (Well, none, really, but we should.) The staff doesn't have the time to prepare an update? Make time--tasks for authoring updates should have been included on the development schedule. Regular backer communication is as important to crowdfunded projects as analytics is to software development--it is an absolute requirement.

* Which reminds me; why are the other Unsung Story forums still up?

I would really like to see regular, scheduled updates, no matter how small or bland; I don't care if it's a vague "We're working out kinks in the gameplay" one month and an equally-vague "We're still working out kinks in the gameplay" the next--it doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't need concept art, it doesn't need a feature showcase. Scheduled updates (e.g. first monday of every month) would demonstrate Playdek's continued development and commitment to the game and would remove the uncertainty and backer stress (caused by infrequent, sporadic communication) by giving us dates to look forward to, as well as provide deadlines that can be inserted into the development schedule/sprint/whatever.

Meeting ran long and you didn't have time to prep an update? Post a quick note and give it to us a little late. Don't have anything new to report for a given month? Just say so. I think the simple act of somebody at Playdek saying anything about the game, no matter how empty a message, will placate us backers till the next scheduled comm. Sure, if you go three or four months with "nothing to report", a few of us might get suspicious, but a regularly-scheduled report as such would be leaps and bounds more satisfying and relieving than saying nothing.

• Gesser likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users