Photo

Gonna quell all your critiques/Q's regarding the "8-point but not an 8-point, hex but not a hex" points...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:53 AM

Everybody... you can see the faint, invisible outline of a hexagon inside the grid of the top image... see the 8 points & how the diagonals reach nearer to the certain (are longer)?

It's just that the character faces where two sides meet & not to the center of a single side, you get it?

Makes sense.

8-point can match up with hexagonal, it's just that you're not attacking through the diagonal side 'center points' (whereas you're able to on your flanks).

May seem odd now but I guarantee Unsung knows what they're doing with it & it's highly sophisticated.

Besides, you have to understand that there's often a suspension of disbelief with many TRPG's regarding targeting paradigms (for instance, a melee attacker isn't capable of attacking to a diagonal in FFT even though it's equidistant in real-world geometry).

Case closed.

Resume hype.

Sincerely, 

Gesser

P.S. yes, I'm also Hunter Bateman from the KS Comments. Nice to meet you all!

• Palossact, Vitezdido, Ronaldsr and 20 others like this

#2 LockeLamora

LockeLamora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Hype resumed Gesser, well put. 

• Gesser likes this

#3 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

Thanks!

http://img.photobuck...bateman/Hex.png

Red lines were botched, refer to blue lines lol.

#4 Conquérant_Rouge

Conquérant_Rouge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

Glad they went with the 8-point system, it strikes a balance between innovation and familarity.

The originally proposed "hex-triangle" system might of worked, but it did looked clustered and complex imo.

That 8-point system works well, as proven in another little gem, MASSIVE CHALICE (caps required).

• Gesser likes this

#5 LockeLamora

LockeLamora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

Massive Chalice is the Double Fine one, correct? Is it worth playing? 

#6 faelim

faelim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

To be fair, they didn't describe what you've gone to the pains of describing within their original Kickstarter pitch -

Instead of a square tile system, Unsung Story will use triangular tiles, with units standing not at the center of tiles, but at the intersections. This gives units six possible directions of movement.  

This image below depicts different target choices for the player in this triangular based system. In this example, the Active unit has three options:

1) Use attack “X” on the adjacent Enemy A
2) Use attack “Y” on Enemy B, two tiles away
3) Use defense “Z” to aid the adjacent Ally C

The attack radius shown above is a radius of 2, in other words. A, B, and C are all within the acting unit's range. A and C are well within range, and B is at the edge of the range. The purpose of this system is to explore what more can be presented to the player, by way of multiple action choices, while having a consistent six possible direction choices available to them.

An 8-point system is not accurate to that original pitch, no matter how you slice it.

That said, I personally don't mind either way so long as it's enjoyable to play.

#7 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:23 AM

True, however I was never arguing that.

People on the KS Comments raged on me with nasty insults, not understanding the context of my argument... it was pretty funny.

Same :) upsides & downsides to both designs, happy either way.

The triangles though, honestly, looked to feel a bit annoying to work with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users