• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TacticalRPGFan

TacticalRPGFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

Currently, the Unsung Story Wiki has a number of articles about the backstory of the world of Unsung Story (Rasfalia) and some hints to the plot. The most informative piece I'm aware of so far is this write-up on the Seventy-Seven Years War.

Judging from this, it seems like the plot is going to open with political intrigue and conflict between the kingdom of Alionne and the Jheksal Empire. I think with quality writing and good characterization this kind of fantasy war can make for a very good plot. In fact, this is the kind of classic fantasy story telling that reaches all the way back to ancient times and is consistently successful even into modern times across many mediums with things like J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, C.S Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, and even other works like Game of Thrones.

However, I'll guess that all of this is dropped in the third act of the story for the "an evil religion was behind it all." This cliche has cropped up in Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, and Final Fantasy Tactics (though admittedly FFT was one of the better executions of it, by having build-up to it rather than an endgame plot shift). And those are just the Tactical RPG series I can think of off the top of my head.

It would be good if Unsung Story could avoid this cliche. Story might not exactly be a back-of-the-box selling point, however I think a good story will result in greater long-term success for the game. What do you think? Are there other story cliches you think Unsung Story should avoid?

• Gesser, Galenmex, MichaelUsex and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: story, plot, cliches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users