Photo

Class Type and School Interaction

design classes schools class types

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Poll: What's your favorite school and class type? (2 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favorite School?

1. War (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Nature (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Divine (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

4. Man (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Arcane (0 votes [0.00%])

What's your favorite Class Type?

1. Attacker (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Defender (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Mage (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Healer (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Tamer (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TacticalRPGFan

TacticalRPGFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

According to Kickstarter Update #42, Professions from the Kickstarter have now been replaced by 5 different Schools that represent different focuses for classes and characters. The schools and example classes in the update were:

• Units within the School of War specialize in the use of martial weapons and skills. Soldiers and Lancers are examples of two Jobs found within this school.  
  • The School of Nature revolves around the use of weapons and skills that pertain to living alongside nature. Huntsmen and Beastmasters are just two Jobs found within this School.
  • The School of the Divine promotes the use of powers imparted from higher beings which manifest as Miracles or Hexes. Priests and Necromancers are two Jobs that emerge from this School.  
  • The School of Man highlights the perfection, ingenuity, and vices of man. Incidentally, Apothecaries and Assassins are two Jobs found here.  
  • The last School, the Arcane School, uses magic instead of physical means to overcome obstacles. Here you will find Jobs such as Wizards and Summoners associated to this School.

In addition, from the initial Kickstarter there are 5 different Class types:

• Attacker - These are front line fighters that emphasize attack power. They fight with long swords, massive axes, spears, and maces, for example.
  • Defender - These are front line fighters that emphasize defense. They are equipped with a shields and other defensive equipment, and will protect their party from enemy attacks.
  • Mage - These are magic-users that wield offensive and support magic, including the ability to strengthen a party’s attack abilities.
  • Healer - These are magic-users that wield defensive and healing magic, and can strengthen a party’s defensive position.
  • Tamer - These are characters that command mythical beasts and monsters. The tamed monsters can be used for both offensive and defensive purposes.

I think that this system of using Schools and Class Types together has a lot of potential to create interesting classes and gameplay for Unsung Story. I would particularly be interested in seeing some combinations of Schools and Class Types that would be unexpected or don't have an equivalent in existing games. For example, a War Tamer (which could give beasts/monsters a War form, or focus on aggressive buffs and the like) or an Arcane Defender (which would subvert the squishy wizard stereotype).

What do you think of the Schools and Class Types in Unsung Story? Are there any combinations you're interested in, and what do you think they would be like?

• ThomasSn likes this

#2 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

I too hope for hybrids of all sorts... I'm a big fan of mixed melee-magical offense/debuffers (e.g. Red Mage or Arc Knight types).

Also, support characters 100%.

I love characters that're dedicated to buffing allies or debuffing enemies, turning the tides of war via careful manipulation of the battlefield or unit-effects.

Piggybacking your proposal for field-effects, I'd love to see a character that's all about manipulating the field-of-play (e.g. Elementalist or Geomancer).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, classes, schools, class types

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users