Photo

Terrain Effects in Unsung Story

design gameplay

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Do you think Unsung Story should have Terrain Effects? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Unsung Story should have Terrain Effects?

1. Yes (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Yes, and I have my own ideas (please post them!) (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TacticalRPGFan

TacticalRPGFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:00 PM

Tactical RPGs have and additional level of gameplay over traditional turn-based RPGs - positioning units on the battlefield. In order to add more depth to this gameplay, Terrain Effects frequently appear in Tactical RPGs. Do we want Unsung Story to have Terrain effects? There was a thread discussing this on the old forums you can see here.

Common Terrain effects in Tactical RPGs include:

• Elevation - different heights of terrain affecting movement and sometimes having other effects like changing the range of distance weapons. This Kickstarter said different elevations of terrain would be featured in Unsung Story.

• Stat Changes - frequently Tactical RPGS will include different types of terrain that change units stats, for instance fortifications that increase defense or thick undergrowth that hinders movement

• Elemental Effects - different types of terrain interacting with the elemental system in the game (Does Unsung Story have an elemental system?) such as rivers improving water element effects, etc.

Separate from static effects, something I think it would be great to see in Unsung Story is dynamic terrain interaction. This would include things like weather, which can have effects like rain increasing the water level, fog affecting visibility, lightning strikes starting fires, etc. Also more specific terrain interactions like being able to burn down trees, switches that open and close gates, etc. Having these kind of effects that players can influence could add a lot of gameplay depth to Unsung Story.

• Gesser, ThomasSn, Galenmex and 13 others like this

#2 Gesser

Gesser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:11 AM

I'm all for them. I absolutely love them. There's just one thing however... a lot of tactical games seem to sacrifice much class-depth in favor of such systems (e.g. grossly simplifying classes to overemphasize field-play) & I HATE IT.

To be done properly, both should compliment each other very well & neither be under-represented (or, if one, have dynamic terrain be secondary to complex unit capabilities: abilities, actions, spells, & etc.).

I don't want it to be where your archer can merely shoot arrows & maybe has one cone-shot & a vault ability... the poor justification being that "well, your arrows can shoot barrels & make them explode, setting fire to oil! It's awesome!!"

No, it's not awesome; it gets old quick. Those sorts of things are why I play casual hack n' slashes or adventure games every so often, they're not the sort of thing I want watering down my TRPG's.

So idk so much about the ol' Barrel trope... however, I think there's merit to some dynamic terrain play.

For instance, an Elementalist class can create pools of water which cost more to wade through. Or pillars which can zone units or prevent LoS. Or set fire which can spread (and can then explode that gunpowder barrel).

Barrels & oil are usually noob-traps for tactical RPG design... not gonna lie, at least the way they're popularly utilized. They are... gimmicky, ofttimes.

I prefer elementally-based field effects like...

Electric spells targeting water spread 50% of their damage to all units touching the water.

Water spells can wipe out the fire you've set.

Wind spells can blow out flames or fan them depending on the intensity of the flame.

Or shove rocks depending on the mass. Conversely, rocks can prevent the passage of wind spells if they're sturdy enough to hold back the winds.

A system where you have something like lvl. 1/2/3 elemental spells with possible interactions for each combination of element/tier would be freaking radical, now that I think about it.

Level 2 Pillars trump level 1 Gusts.

Level 3 Fire fans against level 2 Gusts.

Level 1 Water dissolves against Level 3 Fire.

Level 1 Water versus level 2 Fire, both consume one another.

Level 3 Electric will explode Level 1-2 Pillars outwardly (aoe).

And so on & so forth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, gameplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users