• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Izlude

Izlude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

SOOO Excited for this! I'm envisioning a revamped and online FFT! Are my thoughts and dreams accurate? Should they be? Ahh, so excited!

• Ahrlo, Vitezdido, ThomasSn and 9 others like this

#2 Shyla

Shyla

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 384 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Owned Playdek Games:Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola, Ascension, Summoner Wars, Tanto Cuore, Nightfall, Penny Arcade the Game, Fluxx, Food Fight, Can't Stop

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:26 PM

I don't think you will be crushed when you get your hands on it! ;)

Glad to see you so excited!

• Ahrlo and Rotendo like this

#3 fastlane

fastlane

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm super stoked too, and I don't think I'll be disappointed per se, but from the previews it sounds like a rather large departure from FFT. I'm sure it'll be great, but it doesn't sound much like FFT at all outside of being a tactical RPG from the creator of FFT.

The class structure seems nothing alike, and it sounds like there's no real character/party progression (?) instead opting for more of a short story collection as opposed to an epic story kind of thing. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

FFT is probably one of my (if not my absolute) favorite games in video game history (I own and play it on my PS1, PS3, PSP and iOS devices even now), so I'm trying to temper my expectations somewhat, but I'm very much looking forward to Unsung Story. I'd just be wary of expecting FFT v.2.0 is all.

#4 Ahrlo

Ahrlo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

FFT is also my favorite, wish i'd kept track of how many replay's - even goofy ones going to lvl 99 in mandalia plains thieving gear :)

it can't be FFT version 2 i think because lots of that was classes and summons from the square, now -enix world - but there's also tactic's ogre and other games they've made to look at

i'm assuming greatness and can hardly stand the wait

• Shyla likes this

#5 Lt. Silverblade

Lt. Silverblade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

I'm dying to get my hands on this!

I love to explore a thousand ways to tactically kick rears and I feel this will be heaven for that!

#6 lazyhusky

lazyhusky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:15 AM

I think the best update for me is when they announce Akihiko Yoshida doing the character designs :D

If only they created a backer reward with some art goodies from Yoshida-san. Please make this happen Playdek!

#7 Onuma

Onuma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNoVA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:27 AM

FFT is certainly a masterpiece, one of the greatest games of all time.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the team can do with the experiences they've gained since 1997 (oh man, I suddenly feel old...this has been happening more and more lately <_< ).  I'd wager there will be enough similarities to recognize its heritage, but also that Unsung will have its own style of art and game play which makes it unique.

It's cliché to say "I can't wait"...because what choice do we really have?  But I'm still anxiously excited!

God Speed, Playdeck!

Death is lighter than a feather.  Duty heavier than a mountain. -al'Lan Mandragoran

#8 r1ck182

r1ck182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:09 AM

I'm a great fan of FFT too! I don't think it will be the FFT 2.0, but I believe it will be so good as FFT. Can't wait to play!

#9 Lucence

Lucence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

I don't want to see a clone of FFT, but from what I have read on kickstarter updates that is not what we are getting.

#10 Melodia

Melodia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

Personally I like the idea of a long RPG that isn't "epic". For all the hate it seems to get, I really actually LOVE the first two chapters of Final Fantasy X-2 before it devolves into the "omg gotta save the world again sigh" stuff.

Even though I wouldn't expect FFT-2 there are some things from it I'd hope to see, such a very fair 'death' system, customization that allows for much replay value (this the biggest, perhaps only, reason I've started FFT so many times), and no real punishment for doing 'bad' (that is, if you let a couple of units fall in battle you shouldn't be penalized, etc). 

#11 CoarseDragon

CoarseDragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

I also await with great anticipation.

#12 CreepyKin

CreepyKin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:05 PM

Rather than see a FFT derivative, although that would be enough to make me happy, I want to see Matsuno and company evoke the spirit of FFT while iterating on the groundwork they laid with that game so many years ago. I share your enthusiasm. Can't wait! :)

#13 DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

I am glad to see it as a departure. I do look forward to the story as well as the world. FFT had great immersion into its world I hope for the same here.

#14 liandakilla

liandakilla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

I hope the games wont be to short. they said it would consist of 8 stories but i dont really know how long that is. Hope they make plenty of content

#15 DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

I do agree that I hope it is not too short.  I understand that they are trying to make more than one game with this one but I would expect a long adventure as it is since it s a strategy-RPG game.

#16 TyNyE

TyNyE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

Excited to see things finally coming together for this, i'm so excited for this, can't wait to play this and listen to the soundtrack at the same time. :-)

~Mr. Dre Blanco~

#17 Geomancer

Geomancer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

Tactics Ogre is actually the 'first' game, and FFT was just a simplified adaptation to that game's mechanics.

Hopefully we get something similar to those two, after all that's a large reason a majority of the people backed this project. I don't think anyone expects the same game, they just want to see familiar concepts because the gameplay of those games is what people fell in love with, along with their in depth and well written stories.

#18 Rav

Rav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:42 PM

Tactics Ogre is actually the 'first' game, and FFT was just a simplified adaptation to that game's mechanics.

Hopefully we get something similar to those two, after all that's a large reason a majority of the people backed this project. I don't think anyone expects the same game, they just want to see familiar concepts because the gameplay of those games is what people fell in love with, along with their in depth and well written stories.

I feel like it's disingenuous to say that a majority of people backed this project because they wanted another FFT.

A strategy game, yes.

An interesting story, yes.

Quite a bit of faith in the developers, of course.

I, however, don't want to see it compared to FFT unless it's how much people played them both for games of their time. 

#19 arch40

arch40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Excited about the possibilities here.  I backed this because I wanted to believe in the Devs to create something new and fun for me to enjoy.  Can't wait to see how this progresses. 

#20 fastlane

fastlane

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

I feel like it's disingenuous to say that a majority of people backed this project because they wanted another FFT.

A strategy game, yes.

An interesting story, yes.

Quite a bit of faith in the developers, of course.

I, however, don't want to see it compared to FFT unless it's how much people played them both for games of their time. 

Given that Unsung Story is billed on the Kickstarter page as the "spiritual successor" to those titles, I don't see how it's unfair to compare this new game to those on points other than time /played. Yes, it should stand on its own, yes it can step out from FFT's formula a bit (though hopefully not in the silly direction that the gameboy advance games went with referees and nonsense), but you won't avoid comparisons as long as they're trading on the success of those groundbreaking titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users