Bread or Meat?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fitoneto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

In multiplayer games I have seen that players prefeer to eat animals than getting a oven. Am I right?

Getting 1 grain is often belittled, but its the most your gonna get in a turn without a special card.
  • ThomasSn likes this

#2 Gleptoportus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

Generally I find that feeding yourself with bread requires at least one extra Improvement or Occupation (beyond the Oven)  to make it easier. Obviously the Baker is great, but even things that let you plow a field when collecting grain make it more viable. Otherwise it just seems to take a couple of actions too many.

#3 Jaysuper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

My preference is to grab sheep early while I work towards building a more sustainable source of food. It depends largely on the minor improvements and occupations you are dealt that make one more viable than the other. If you are going to use grain as a source of food, then you will want to get at least one field started in the first stage so that you will have a grain or two when you buy your oven to make use of the bake bread action that comes with your purchase.

In my opinion baking bread is superior, but does take more precious actions to get going. First stage plant your crops, second stage buy your oven to get your food, third+ stages replant and bake bread.

#4 King Agricola

King Agricola

Twilight Struggle Backer

• Twilight Struggle Backer
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

The food engine is strictly based upon the cards that were dealt or the ones you drafted. Either choice is viable. However, still setting a food engine up in round 8 and on is disastrous. It needs to be functioning by the second harvest or it spells trouble

#5 Lilith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationReggio emilia

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

Meat u.u in game and in reality too. You can stockpile sheeps, boars and livestock, but you can't stockpile Grain :)

#6 Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Cooking (as opposed to baking) is generally just more flexible, and in a worker placement game, flexibility counts for a lot.  When you're committed to baking, you can have a ton of fields set up, grain growing everywhere, and get blocked on the bake action, and the more players are in the game, the more easily this happens, because there's still just the one baking action space.

Conventionally, baking needs you to plant two grain fields by the first harvest to really sustain throughout (so you have one to sow and one to eat), and that's a lot of actions to spend early for something that isn't gathering room materials so you can grow your family quickly.  

Setting up fields isn't even generally good denial to the other players, because a lot of the time, that's done at the last minute, late game, when they have the advantage of plows they couldn't play in stage 1.  Compared to baking, gathering wood for rooms and getting extra for stables to start ranching is denying your opponents materials they ALL want anyway.  

I don't recommend baking unless your hand strongly supports it, even if baking is totally uncontested.  Look for things that give bonus food for baking (e.g. millstone), or things that give you a ton of free grain (e.g. corn scoop, market crier), or things that let you bake without using the baking spot (e.g. oven upgrades, baker occ, bread paddle).

#7 nopunin10did

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

Meat is far more often the better option.

However, occasionally it makes sense to go all-in on baking in the early turns.  Usually this is in a 4-5 player game where everyone else is heavily competing over the animals and cooking improvements.

I once had the wild luck in a 2-player game of being able to combo Straw-Thatched Roof with Wet Nurse, along with one of the 2x5 ovens (and a few other goodies).  I had a super-slow start, but went from 2 to 5 family members in turn 8 and was able to easily support them.

Won the game with a score of 53 over 41.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users