#1 Onuma

Onuma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNoVA

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

As found here:  https://www.kickstar...s/posts/1388550

I thought I'd share this in the backers' forum, because there has been a lack of posting here altogether.  One would think that updates would be on KS and this site, rather than just KS or Reddit, or any other singular place.  After all, this is the official Unsung Story forum -- backers like us would expect info to be found here...right?

Keep in mind, this is a very early video (the first we've seen), and it says "Work In Progress" in the watermark.  Nothing is finalized, and we may be seeing some stock engine assets, rather than the conceptualized artwork from the KS campaign, etc.  The same goes for sounds & music.  We simply won't know more until Playdek releases more or comments specifically.

Greetings Backers,

We have put together this short video that we would like to share with you that shows some of the combat in Unsung Story in action. We have two different stages highlighted in this video, and while watching the video you will notice a few different aspects of combat we may not have talked about or shown up until this point, so please let us help explain a few things.

video: https://emails.kicks...RttAcoqKA-3D-3D

Movement in Unsung Story is currently showing in a square grid, however units are able to move in 8 directions much like the directions on a compass. When your unit is able to move, all of the different squares your unit is able to move to will be highlighted, making it easy to see where you can move in order to plan out your attack.

If a unit is within melee range of an enemy unit and has the ability to attack physically with a weapon, then this option will become available at that unit's turn. All available enemies within attack range will be highlighted for an easy view, and it is important to note that different weapons will have different ranges of attack. For example, polearm users will not have to stand as close to an enemy as a sword wielder will need to.

Certain units will have the ability to switch their weapon during combats. Different skills and abilities will be tied to specific weapons, and will only become available when equipped to a unit.

Skills will also be available to certain units based off of the school they belong to. By assigning skills to both units themselves and the weapons, Unsung Story will allow players to customize their units based on what they like to play and what they might need available in their party to balance it out.

Next month we will have a more thorough video going over the specifics in combat, so if you have any questions about the combat system or would like us to talk about anything in particular in the next update, please post in the comments section here and we will do our best to answer everyone. We will also plan another AMA where you will be able to ask your questions directly to us, so stay tuned for that. Thank you everyone!

Cheers,  

Playdek

• Lorrinezek, Codihogue, Vilmashiew and 6 others like this

Death is lighter than a feather.  Duty heavier than a mountain. -al'Lan Mandragoran

#2 Ghidra

Ghidra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:56 AM

My guess is that the art-style and graphics are not going to be profoundly different than what we have seen in the screenshots and the new video.  If you look at the concept art for the Kickstarter campaign, what you see is something apart from the style used by Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre--it's got much more of a western vibe to it.  When I first saw some of these drawings, they made me think of a more cartoonish version of the artwork found in D&D manuals.  For example, this guy looks like he could hang out in Dragon Lance:

8f7284524b5a36deb5b36b87d2555f65_origina

dragonlance_die_legende_von_huma.png

Chad Philip Johnson

Anacronist Software

#3 Onuma

Onuma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNoVA

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:22 AM

Huma.  One of my favorite D&D characters.

Agreed on the stylization.  Someone went through a few D&D, Warhammer, and other books when they were inspired to create the concept characters.  Nothing wrong with that, at all.  If everything looks as good as some of the Forgotten Realms novel covers (my favorites are the covers from the Twilight War and Erevis Cale trilogies), then we're going to be looking at one beautiful game, even if it is not super hi-def.

As far as the progress on the modeling goes, they just haven't put the artistic touch on their work because it's still too early.  I'm sure the artists are working hard on making the concepts come to life, but it can take a long time to get them just right -- putting anything earlier into production is a waste of resources.  Use models which are effective for testing & tweaking and substitute in the production artwork when it is ready.

• Ghidra likes this

Death is lighter than a feather.  Duty heavier than a mountain. -al'Lan Mandragoran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users