10 replies to this topic

#1 Haledyr

Haledyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Ascension is the first deckbuilding game I have played. In fact I had never even heard the term before finding the game by chance in the app store.
I dare say that I am hooked. Absolutly love the game and every expansion too. Every new expansion is like christmas! :-p

I've been digging and googling around to find more like this. But so far the only thing that comes close is tanto cuore. *Wishing for expansions.*

I have also found Dominion which I like, but oh do I wish playdek had made the game. It in no way plays and looks as great as ascension.

Another is Star Realms which I somewhat like but get annoyed that the value of the cards seems to have been set with closed eyes.

Are there any other deckbuilding (not cardcollecting) digital games pc/ios out there? :-)
*fingers crossed*
  • Ronaldsr, Galenmex, MichaelUsex and 8 others like this

#2 Noloic

Noloic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationReggio nell'Emilia, Italy

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

I've learned about deck-building games only recently, too (~3 years). My first one instead was Tanto Cuore, while the second one I've played has been Ascension, exactly your contrary. :P

By the way, I loved the gaming system since I first played Tanto Cuore with friends, and I found out a nice variety of games just like them. Some of them are developed on mobile devices from Playdek, as well!

• Tanto Cuore [Playdek]
  • Ascension - Chronicle of the Godslayer [Playdek]
  • Dominion
  • Penny Arcade - Gamers vs Evil [Playdek]
  • Nightfall [Playdek]
  • Star Realms
  • Barbarossa (currently unavaible but in Japan, from what I recall :()
  • Kuni Tori! (same above, if I recall right)

If some others came across my mind (or my monitor, sometimes xD), I'll let you know! ;)

#3 Fandeath

Fandeath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

Dominion is probably the overall best deck-building game I have played.I have been playing it since 2009, and it still never gets old. Lots of strategy with that one and not much luck. Recently a very good one has come out called Arctic Scavengers. It has taken over both Dominion and Ascension in our group for most played deck-builder. Again, it is a very strategic one. My group generally doesn't play games with a lot of luck, but we make an exception for Ascension because it is so fun!

#4 Haledyr

Haledyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thanks noloic, I'll give penny and nightfall a go. :D

Fandeath, that looks like a cool game, but it looks like it's only available as a tabletop game?

I know noone who has interest in playing this kind of game, or anyone who would be able to play an english game for that matter I'm afraid. :ph34r: So wish that I did. It's all gin rummy and go fish around here...

(Trying to peek my sons interest for acension with some success, but as he is only 6 (and Danish) it'll be a while till he's able to read the cards. But it'll happen! He loves the monsters!)

Thanks for replying. :wub:

#5 Noloic

Noloic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Thanks noloic, I'll give penny and nightfall a go. :D

Eheh, you're welcome! :lol:

If I ever found out more deck-building games in digital-form, I'll post here for you. ;)

(Trying to peek my sons interest for acension with some success, but as he is only 6 (and Danish) it'll be a while till he's able to read the cards. But it'll happen! He loves the monsters!)

Ahah, nice! ;) He'll probably learn fast, if he really likes the game, don't worry about it. :P For a while, just teach him like this : "when you use this card, you get two more cards from here (the deck)" (draw 2 cards), "when you use this card, you can throw away a card that you don't like from here (the hand) or here (the discard pile)" (banish a card from your hand or discard pile), "when you can't do anything else, put all your cards here" (end of turn, discard phase), and so on. :P

#6 Scribner

Scribner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:14 AM

Haledyr --

in researching Ascension, i came across a bunch of deckbuilding game resources, and read a great number of reviews...

two titles that kept cropping up were:  DC Comics Deckbuilding Game;  &, Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game...  especially the latter...  both of which were consistently well-reviewed...

apparently there was an expansion to the DC game that tried to turn the whole thing cooperative, and from what i read failed miserably...  but the base set was well received...

as far as the Resident Evil game, literally every article i read started like:  "we really expected this game to stink, but as it turns out it is brilliant...!"  which, coming from gamers, is pretty intriguing...

just thought i'd share...

oh...  Miskatonic School for Girls...  trust me, check it out, it's awesome...!!!

peace --

-- khs

#7 Haledyr

Haledyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

@scribner
Thank you for your suggestions. I couldn't find those in the appstore so I'm guessing they are not available as digital versions. Hope they see the light and contacts playdek. ;-D

@noloic
Have been playing penny arcade today. Really love that game so thank you very much for suggesting it. :-D
Hope to see some expansions. :-p

I have now ordered the apprentice edition of ascension. I'm contemplating sticking some post-its over the effects area and drawing icons or maybe printing stickers. There must be some way to make it easier for the kids to "read" the cards on their own. :-))

#8 Noloic

Noloic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

I've found more deck-building games in the store. Check them out, if you want to! ^_^

• Football Seasons (I didn't play it, though)
  • Empire (I played it and liked it, time ago. But it's pretty new and its mechanics continuously change)
  • Battle of Gundabad (I didn't play it, though)
  • Hero Brigade Brawl? (I didn't play it, and I can't exactly tell whether it's a deck-building game or it isn't...)
  • Stak Bots (I didn't play it, though)
  • Prez Games (I didn't play it, though)

#9 Haledyr

Haledyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

Football seasons I already tried and deleted quickly. I can't remember exactly why but think it was more like card collecting than deckbuilding. I'm not really in to those.

Stak bots I can't recommend either, the gameplay wasn't that interesting and the graphics very grey and boring. Deleted that pretty fast.

Battle of Gundabad is pretty much a Dominion ripoff. But poorly executed. Graphics are low quality and the game has some bugs. It's an old game and it seems the developer has given up on it. It's still on my ipad though. :-)

I'll check out the rest. Thank you very much Noloic. :-D

#10 Haledyr

Haledyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Come to think of it I can strongly recommend Dream Quest. (IOS)

It's a solitaire game crossed between a boardgame and a deckbuilder. It's very much build on luck, like ascension. Therebis different roles to play, like in Penny Arcade and the game changes eveytime you play.
I really love this game and keep going back to beat my highscore.

I have to warn you though, the cards looks like my 6-year old kid drew them. They were actually drawn in paint! :-P So don't get it if you hate ugly games.

But it grows on you. What at first was just ugly is now kinda sweet and just retro. :-)
If playdek gave this game a makeover it would be a hit. Seriously!

#11 Noloic

Noloic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

Football seasons I already tried and deleted quickly. I can't remember exactly why but think it was more like card collecting than deckbuilding. I'm not really in to those.

Stak bots I can't recommend either, the gameplay wasn't that interesting and the graphics very grey and boring. Deleted that pretty fast.

Battle of Gundabad is pretty much a Dominion ripoff. But poorly executed. Graphics are low quality and the game has some bugs. It's an old game and it seems the developer has given up on it. It's still on my ipad though. :-)

I'll check out the rest. Thank you very much Noloic. :-D

LoL quite interesting points, you convinced me not to try them out. :P

By the way, you're welcome. ^_^

Come to think of it I can strongly recommend Dream Quest. (IOS)

It's a solitaire game crossed between a boardgame and a deckbuilder. It's very much build on luck, like ascension. Therebis different roles to play, like in Penny Arcade and the game changes eveytime you play.
I really love this game and keep going back to beat my highscore.

I have to warn you though, the cards looks like my 6-year old kid drew them. They were actually drawn in paint! :-P So don't get it if you hate ugly games.

But it grows on you. What at first was just ugly is now kinda sweet and just retro. :-)
If playdek gave this game a makeover it would be a hit. Seriously!

LoL I just noticed it and yeah, it's pretty silly-draw. :P I can't tell about gameplay, though, but I'll inform myself better first. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users