TheCat

Bug - game went back in time and forfeited

We are playing a two player game of Twilight Struggle. Chuck had just played Liberation Theology as Turn 9 USSR AR7 to place influence into Mexico and one other country. I looked at it last night and couldn't decide how to respond, so I logged out. This morning, when I logged in, the game showed as complete with a US forfeit. The game log is rolled back to Turn 9 US AR6, and doesn't show Chuck's play of Liberation Theology on AR7.

Is there any way to recover this game? I definitely did not go back in time to AR6 to forfeit!

The game didn't go back in time.  But there is a minor bug in the playback engine.

You forfeited the game because your timer expired.  This happened after your opponent's play in T9 AR7 USSR.

When you reload a game, it loads to the last point in the game where you made a decision, and then it plays the animations of everything that has happened since then.  However, once it realizes you forfeited, it stops the playback and brings up the forfeit popup.

It was a 45 day game. I wish there was an option for unlimited time.

I have to say that 45 days is an absurd amount of time.  I'm kind of glad there isn't an option for unlimited time as I've had some opponents who just simply stopped playing and ran out the clock.

I have to say that 45 days is an absurd amount of time.  I'm kind of glad there isn't an option for unlimited time as I've had some opponents who just simply stopped playing and ran out the clock.

Obviously unlimited time would never be used between strangers. For friends who communicate through other channels, and have kids, it might be handy sometimes. I expect Playdek would never implement it though, assuming they prefer to have some definite cut-off point to purge and/or collect data from games.

I was playing with a friend, we both have busy lives, and we took several breaks of the game over the winter holiday. Neither of us can play while at work. We usually only play one or two actions per day, and some days nothing happens. We still have fun and enjoy playing the game together.

Not everyone has the same requirements in life. I played wargames by postal mail in the 1980s. Some of those games took 18 months or more to complete.