joepinion

The Obligatory "We Want More Factions" Thread

Nice looking forums you got here! Internet forums have a cool "old school" internet quality that I love. :) Plus I can't keep up with Twitter.

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and pre-emptively start the topic that most of us Summoner Wars players would want to start here, and spin it in the most positive light possible. First, some relevant facts:

• Summoner Wars for iOS/Android is AMAZING.
  • I am so grateful that Playdek made the digitial version of my favorite game, I have had so much fun and have played so many more games of Summoner Wars than I ever could have in real life.
  • It looks great, plays great, and has been a VERY effective tool to help me introduce people to the game.
  • It's helped the Summoner Wars community understand the game (at least the released factions) so much deeper than ever before due to the sheer number of games and the data that comes with it.
  • Plain and simple: I have had so much fun playing Playdek's implementation of Summoner Wars.
  • I look forward to the organized play system on the app... We have had large tournaments over at PlaidHatGames.com for a while now and have a blast with them, but people need to come to our site to find it.

Ok, all that said, you know what we want as Summoner Wars players: MORE FACTIONS! I will pay $5, $10, or whatever you charge, per faction. No questions asked. It's been well over a year now. The impression around the internet is that these factions are more or less programmed. Is that true? If so, where are they? Can we ever expect the rate of release to increase? Could we perhaps get a bunch at once? Do you need help playtesting?

It is worth noting that the game (in real life) has kept improving, especially the meta game and the dynamics of play. The stuff on iOS can still lead to a lot of self-kills and turtling. (Not as fun.) The more new stuff you get out there, the more healthy and fun the playstyles will be.

Once again, thank you for making Summoner Wars. :) More please.

Welcome to the forums joepinion! This has been a long time coming and I’m glad we can have an area to get more of our players and fans together to discuss our games.

First, yes on the more factions! That is something a lot of us want to see also so we are looking into how to make this possible. To be honest, we are working on the new mBer system (the organized game play system) right now to get that out into everyone’s hands since there is so much potential with that system. Allow you all to be able to take your game playing to the next level with organized tournaments is something we are very excited to be able to provide for you. Plus, in-game chat will also be coming with that launch and that is something a lot of players have been asking for since the game launched so we are happy to be able to give everyone that with this system! I am sure after we are able to get this out into your hands, we will have more time to look into more factions for you guys.

We will be hosting mBer beta testing soon with Summoner Wars and it would be cool to see you apply when it is ready. It will be nice to have some expert players in the test to help us out with it.  ;)

And I really like your analogy on adding “new stuff”, it really gives us something to think about. Thanks for the post!

I totally agree! More factions would be AMAZING. Like joepinion, I would buy them immediately and I know a bunch of other people would too. I look back with fondness on how cool it was when the Mountain Vargath and Benders were added. Some people prefer to play on Vassal (which is nowhere NEAR as nice as Playdek's implementation!) because of faction selection and chat ability -- sounds like you are already working on the chat thing.

There have been lots of tournaments on iOS that were organized on the Plaid Hat forums, as you may know, so the mBer thing sounds cool too.

Thanks for everything you do for the Summoner Wars community!  :)

I myself have been saving a stash of iOS money for when the next factions are released, just so that I am 100% sure I can get them immediately. I am very happy with how the app functions, and as cmarie said, when the Mountain Vargath and Benders were released it felt so cool to play them in a highly digital format. So i am really looking forward to some new factions.

Yes! More factions please! I love this game, and Playdek's version is the most reliable way for me to play. I would instantly buy every faction you put on there. I think you guys do a great job with the game. MORE MORE MORE!!! (Read that last sentence in the happiest, nicest way possible.) 

Also, more factions would be awesome. 

And, sign me up for testing. And also, that other stuff you said is cool too. THIS IS GREAT! 

So Shyla, when you say the priority is to get mBer into everyone's hands do you just mean the initial release into Summoner Wars? It would be a real shame if the Summoner Wars community had to wait for mBer to be released in other Playdek games before new factions came out.

More factions would be great and there's an eager market just waiting to buy them. Playing in Australia my timezone is very different from most players so I really appreciate the asynchronous play of Summoner Wars. In game chat is really not much use to me - more factions would be much more preferable.

Did I mention how brilliant more factions would be?

I'm confused by the phrase "we are looking into how to make this possible." Why is it currently impossible? Doesn't it just involve, like, testing and releasing the factions? There's some component of the lack of factions that I don't understand, because it seems like releasing them is a win-win for everybody but apparently it's not possible at the moment? I promise if you relase 4 new factions at the same time that you release the mBer system on SW, you will get a LOT more hype and momentum behind the whole thing. A whole lot more.

Well, we need more factions desperately. There is one and a half year almost since last update and there are still 6 more factions of the master sett, the expansion of second summoners (16 more) and now the alliances. Unfortunately, I cannot translate the response form you as a definetely willi for a priority. Thats really sad because for example Lords of Waterdeep expanded already and Ascenssion has the one expansion after the other despite your wotk with the new playing system... So far, from your words, I believe we fans of SW we'll be lucky if untill the end of 2015 we manage to have the whole master set. Sad, really sad. You abandoned SW and you abandoned the hundreds of Fans of the most beautiful game in ios...

So Shyla, when you say the priority is to get mBer into everyone's hands do you just mean the initial release into Summoner Wars? It would be a real shame if the Summoner Wars community had to wait for mBer to be released in other Playdek games before new factions came out.

More factions would be great and there's an eager market just waiting to buy them. Playing in Australia my timezone is very different from most players so I really appreciate the asynchronous play of Summoner Wars. In game chat is really not much use to me - more factions would be much more preferable.

Did I mention how brilliant more factions would be?

While I cannot give out specifics because we just aren't ready to announce anything, I do want to agree that more factions would be brilliant and it would be something that would amazing for the Summoner Wars community. We do want to focus first on getting mBer into Summoner Wars, but it won't just stop there. I recommend keeping an eye out for our mBer test announcement later this week.  ;)

I'm confused by the phrase "we are looking into how to make this possible." Why is it currently impossible? Doesn't it just involve, like, testing and releasing the factions? There's some component of the lack of factions that I don't understand, because it seems like releasing them is a win-win for everybody but apparently it's not possible at the moment? I promise if you relase 4 new factions at the same time that you release the mBer system on SW, you will get a LOT more hype and momentum behind the whole thing. A whole lot more.

It isn't something as easy as plugging in the cards and releasing, there are other things that go into this such as programming, adding the new rules for each faction, and testing the new decks among other things. I am completely agreeing that releasing more factions would be a win-win for everyone and you speak a lot of truth in your post (I can tell you have been thinking about this for a while).

While new factions is not as important priority to me as others (clearly im on a minority here) I had the idea that Playdek was already working on implementing swamp orcs, did I get the wrong idea?

Based on this comments It feels we are not seeing new factions until march 2015.....at least. 

Lets say we get Swamp orcs and Shadow elves by then. By the rate of new factions are released, it seems ios version won´t catchup until around 2019. 

We just posted up the mBer testing sign up thread here: http://playdek.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/63-summoner-wars-mber-beta-test-1/

For all who are able to make the testing, we will be giving those players an unreleased Summoner Wars faction, and while I can't say which one, I can let you know that it will be new to the digital game and it might not be the last... ;)

I got a taste of the mBer setup at GenCon, and it looked great. I wish I could make the testing this weekend, but alas, family commitments. I'm also chomping at the bit for new factions. New, as in not out in cards would be even better (if that is what you are hinting at).

While I'm excited about the mber system and the ability to chat with my opponents, I also echo joepinion's sentiments exactly!  This is my TOP game on the iOS, infact I almost bought an iPad just to play this game. I also have many of your other games that are fun as well.  But Summoner Wars is my favorite, and when I got it, two new factions had just arrived.  I was so excited about the possibility of more on the way in the future.

However, it has been frustrating that none have come for over a year.  The ones released are fun, but the card game has advanced alot since those factions, including many of the fun factions in the Master Set, and the 2nd summoners.

Ideally, at least the digital game will cover all of the original 16 factions, and players can play the new master set or 2nd summoners via card game.

Looking forward to latest news about a possible new faction, that is encouraging.

I know playdek is busy, but it would be great if could at least release a new faction a quarter to keep the great summoner wars iOS gaming community alive!    Plus combining that with your mBer release, will help alot!  And new factions are a steady revenue source if you can keep the game alive!

Thanks for the great app, and I hope we can keep it alive to years to come.