nopunin10did

Incorrect Implementation: Corn Profiteer

In 4-5 player games in which the Corn Profiteer is in play, there's a special phase that comes up to allow opponents to offer to purchase a Grain from the Profiteer's player for 2 food.

However, during this special phase*, if you have less than 2 food in your inventory, the game's interface won't allow you to make the offer.  This is an incorrect implementation, as normal play would allow a player to cook an animal or vegetable in order to pay the 2 food.  Because of this, the occupation is considerably more powerful than normal during a harvest phase.

We need to be able to conditionally make new food dependent only if the offer is accepted. 

Let's say Alice, Bob, Charlie, and Diane are playing.  Charlie uses the Corn Profiteer, and Alice and Bob each offer to buy the grain from Charlie.  Neither Alice nor Bob has any food tokens, but they each have other resources that they can convert to food.  Alice will cook a vegetable, and Bob will cook a pig with his fireplace.  Charlie accepts Bob's offer.  Bob cooks the pig, gains 2 food tokens, then gives them to Charlie.  Alice's vegetable is left alone.

I can imagine that this creates a really awful use case.  I'd suggest that, instead of checking purely for food in stock, check what resources the player can make into food using improvements (or the 1:1 conversion for grain/veggies); this would probably be a similar search algorithm to what the AI uses. 

Offers:

1. If a player has 2+ food in stock, allow them to offer or decline as normal.
  2. If a player can make the 2 food, but doesn't have it in stock, let them still make the offer.  You may want to make a warning pop up in this case. 
  3. If a player can't make the 2 food, just automatically decline for them.

When the Profiteer's player selects an offer:

1. For players with food in stock, just automatically handle the trade.
  2. For players that don't have it in stock, but can make the food, control passes to the offering player.  Allow them to cook like normal.  They must make 2+ food before they can confirm their move.

I believe this covers all the bases.

Alternatives:

1. Remove the card. 
  2. Make a digital-only rules text change to this card, so that it's clearer how this implementation works, then enable cooking during the offer screen.
  • New card text:
    "You can convert 1 grain to 3 food at any time. Any other player can prevent this by buying the grain from you for 2 food tokens. If more than one player wants to buy, you choose one of them.  Players that want to buy the grain must have at least 2 food tokens available.  All cooking or converting must be done prior to making the offer."

*I'm not sure if this special phase defect occurs during normal turns, but the no-cooking issue is definitely a problem during the Harvest phase, especially if I've already fed my family and bred my animals.