A mistake many new players to Ascion seem to make is not knowing when to stop buying cards for their effects, and start buying them for their value. As the game progresses into the late turns, you have a smaller chance of drawing the cards you buy (unless you got some awesome banish early on). Therefore the victory points the card is worth start to become more important than what the cards do when played. Towards the end, you want to start picking up cards that have good value. That is to say the cards give a good number of points per their rune value. A 4 rune card giving two points is standard. But a 4 rune card giving 3 points is a good value. The best value cards are the "one for one" cards and Mechana Constructs. If you see the victory point pool is getting low, concentrate on grabbing as many high value cards as possible. For some reason, many new players fail to do this, and it really hurts them in the final scoring.

hi there --

okay, i think i follow you, and i had noticed this phenomenon on my own, what i refer to as "the late game honor grab rush..."  you start snatching things up that have absolutely nothing to do with what your deck is trying to do, based solely on maximum acquisition of honor points for runes &/or power spent...

so, when, exactly, does one generally switch into this mode of play...  when i first got hip to the idea, i figured that when the honor pool hit about 10-15, it was time to start snarfing up honor...  a few weeks later, i think that i was waiting too long, and now i see myself starting to grab for honor when the pool hits about 20...

from a theoretical point of view, i guess anything after 30 honor is gone from the pool is, technically, "the downhill slide..."

so, when does "the end-game" start, in your opinion...?

peace --

-- khs

When Honor Points Pool hits ~20% initial value, in my opinion.

So, let's say the initial Honor Points Pool's value was 180 (3 players-game, MAX HPs quantity) : as soon as ~36 Honor Points are left, start acquiring only high-valued cards.

I think on the base 2-player game (70 honor), I start "going shopping" as soon as it hits 20. But it depends on the game -- if things have been moving quickly because someone went all-in on power and found some juicy targets in the center row, maybe a touch earlier. If it's slower, I will start buying suboptimal cards with bigger honor around then, but I won't buy anything that doesn't work at least ok. That way I don't get burned too badly if I draw them. And then a turn or two later, that's when I completely ignore a card's text and purchase only based on its honor ratio.

Also be aware of the size of your draw and discard piles. If you're about to shuffle, be wary about buying bad cards for the honor, because you might draw them right away. OTOH, if you've just shuffled and you have 20-some cards to go through with 25 honor left in the pool, you will almost certainly not draw any newly acquired cards, so now is the time to shop.

hey --

i just wanted to post a quick "thank you" to everyone who has offered up their experience an insights on Ascension strategy & tactics in the forums here...  as a result, my game has come quite a ways toward being better, although i'm still just not really very good at Ascension, despite putting a lot of work into it...  the fault there lies with me, given the treasure trove of information you have all been so forthcoming with...  just because i stink at it doesn't mean i don't enjoy it, though...  really, thanks, all...

peace --

-- khs