OmenRaven

Stock Up/Down when playing UberAscension...

Hey guys, some of you may know me from the ascensiongame.com page. For those of you I haven't had the opportunity to chat with yet, welcome to the community. My history with Ascension is as follows:

• Playtester for Block 2 (Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes)
  • Worked for SBE as a booth volunteer during Origins Game Fair and GenCon
  • Play group includes Chris Vaccaro (Nirvana Tool; multiple World Championship T8s) and Jacob McCarthy (PinkBizzy; former world champion and creator of cards like Cobra Shaman and Miles, Golden Prodigy). Getting my @$$ handed to me repeatedly by these guys has made me a much better player over time. 

My reason for stating this topic is to get some perspective from people who have dove head first into "UberAscension," i.e. Mixing all sets and all expansions for one ~700 card portal deck. In doing so, have you noticed any cross-block interactions that may be flying under the radar? Additionally, what cards have you found are better--or worse--when playing with a giant melting pot? 

The gamelist is usually mostly games with every deck or nearly all, so I'd be happy for some pointers too.

Though I prefer playing one or two decks, I will take the uberascension game as you call it when noone seems to wanna go my way. :-p

heya --

i've played a bunch of games of what i'll now join you in calling "Uber-Ascension," and it is zany fun, but as a new player, it's a bit overwhelming...

normally, when i stage games [via the Android client, which is how i access the digital version of Ascension], i select CotG, RotF & all 4 Promo packs...  that makes for a varied game, but not so varied that it's just random stuff happening and me along for the ride...

i expect that once i finally come up with a set of strategies that allow me to win more than 50% of my games against human opponents, i'll begin adding the other sets, though...

just wanted to pipe in with why i wasn't all-in on Uber-Ascension...

peace --

-- khs

Hey guys (and apologies if any of you are ladies)

Admittedly, UberAscension is somewhat overwhelming at first. I'm pretty rusty when it comes to RoV block and have only gotten ~10or so plays of Realms Unraveled in since picking it up at Origins in June. I'm slowly shaking the rust off; I plan to start streaming my games on twitch [twitch.tv/0menRaven] once the PC client goes live. In the meantime, feel free to send me challenges: IGN = GamesAndGrub

Re: cards that seem more or less valuable when everything is mixed together, I'll make some claims to get things started. 

Stock Down:
- Arha Initiate ~ He's only a 1 cost and has been a coveted cheap, draw card. However, I think his stock goes down in UberAscension because of the presence of shards, which don't--technically--cost anything aside from the resources used to buy the card over them and provide energy AND card draw rather than simply card draw. 

- Smoke Tyrant ~ This one seems somewhat obvious. Smoke Tyrant is Block 3s version of Nemesis. More specifically, it looks for energy shards rather than Trophy Monsters. When you dilute the portal deck with 400 or so additional cards that AREN'T energy shards, you turn an average ROI from defeating it from 2-3 down to an average (in my experience) of 0-1. 

Stock Up:
- Nemesis ~ Conversely from the Smoke Tyrant logic, if you add another block worth of Trophy Monsters, your likelihood of some being in the void when you kill this 8 cost is a little higher. I still don't think he's the "fear inducing, must kill" monster that they had intended him to be (as there are TONS of 6-7 cost monsters I would much rather kill). FWIW, I think Nemesis is a "bait" card and will generally let opponents chase power producing cards in hopes of defeating him while I go for more important cogs for my deck. In most cases, I'll only defeat him if there are really powerful trophies I can bring back (Akam, Fates, etc) in the very late game for reach or one, giant TKO turn. 

- Hectic Scribe & Askara of Fate ~ Normally, cards that draw more cards are held in high regard by Ascension players. These two cards, on the other hand, are the black sheep of the cantrip family. Hectic Scribe gets a bad rep because it "-1s" your hand (draws 2, costs 3 {2 discards+1played}). Askara of Fate gets left to rot in the center row because it gives your opponent(s) resources--in the form of card draw--with which to punish you next turn. Purchasing them willy-nilly is still a poor choice, IMO, but if you have a deck with a high concentration of energy shards (and your opponents don't, or don't have a bomb you fear them drawing), these 2 cards can give you a bit more reach in that they can put more shards in your hand, which in turn lets you get to either the more important cards or to hit the critical point where your deck will cycle itself to the point of necessitating a re-shuffle. 

ProTip: another thing to remember with Hectic Scribe is that there are now multiple MECHANA cards that allow things to recurse or be brought back from your discard pile. If you have a Enlightened/Mechana deck, you can use Recyclicrab as discard fodder and bring it back with something like Brazer Drone. Likewise, if something like Replication Drone or Hedron Dredger isn't going to have immediate impact (or, more potential impact that what you are hoping to draw), don't be afraid to discard it; it's still worth the honor as long as you have it at the end of the game :-P.  

hey --

i just wanted to post a quick "thank you" to everyone who has offered up their experience an insights on Ascension strategy & tactics in the forums here...  as a result, my game has come quite a ways toward being better, although i'm still just not really very good at Ascension, despite putting a lot of work into it...  the fault there lies with me, given the treasure trove of information you have all been so forthcoming with...  just because i stink at it doesn't mean i don't enjoy it, though...  really, thanks, all...

peace --

-- khs