Sign in to follow this  
andrew101

Is Twilight Struggle really superior to 1989?

I know that TS have been number one for a long time and 1989 is right now ~600 on bgg. Is Twilight Struggle really superior mechanically or it's just the theme that is more popular because more people know about the cold war? I'm from Poland so the theme of 1989 is much closer to me, and also the game is 3-5 times cheaper. Would I miss out much by buying 1989 instead of TS?

Hi Andrew101,

I don't know exactly because I have never played 1989.  However, one reason I like TS is that Steam has a digital version that allows me to play TS around the world with people.  I don't have to have a face-to-face game.  If you have access to a group or a friend who likes board games and will play face-to-fave games, then you might want to get 1989, especially if you think the price is better.  But if you don't, you may want to think about a digital game of TS on Steam.  You may also want to check out the reviews on Dice Tower by Tom Vassal because he has reviewed both of them.  Also, I would think that you can find other reviews on youtube.  1989 is also by GMT, and I think most of their games are quality.  Personally, I like the global aspect of TS and the sudden death of a possible nuclear war.  1989 was also a special moment in history, but I know that I am more likely to play TS.  I hope this helps.